Sunday, July 20, 2008

Rozanne and Jolly Bee



Rozanne is a spectacular hardy geranium. It is one of the best hardy geraniums ever - far superior to the formerly much planted Buxtons Blue. Is has a very long flowering time - here it starts blooming in the middle of may and does not stop until the first real frost days in November. It was a seedling found in the garden of Donald and Rozanne Waterer in 1990, but first introduced in 2000 by Blooms of Bressingham in England.

Another hardy geranium; Jolly Bee was introduced in 2003 in Holland/Netherlands by Hybridizer Marco van Noort - it is said to be a found seedling. Jolly Bee has become very, very popular in many gardens all over the world. No wonder since it has outstanding vigor and and produces a mass of rather large flowers for a very long time.

But many who grow Rozanne and Jolly Bee, have found it very hard to see any differences between to 2 geraniums. It has raised speculations whether Jolly Bee is an imposter and really is Rozanne. There has been some heated discussion about the issue!

Rozanne has been been chosen as the "Perennial plant of the year 2008" and Jolly Bee is a Proven Winners selection. I highly recommend both of these - they are hardy to USDA zone 5 and are wonderful companion plants for roses or in mixed borders. Both get quite big - about 1 feet tall and up to 4 feet wide. It can be trimmed if it becomes too leggy, and will keep flowering. It is actually interesting to grow both - I have 3 Jolly bees and 2 Rozanne - and I can not tell any difference. Jolly Bee may be more bushy and vigorous - but that could be a coincidence. Both are great garden plants and I love the blue flowers and the green leaves with yellow marblings. It is not hard to see why they have become so popular:

13 comments:

Mother Nature said...

I'm definitely missing out when it come to geraniums. I'll have to try some. Thanks for calling my attention to them with some great recommendations.
Donna

Crafty Gardener said...

I don't have nearly enough geraniums in my garden. Your rose photos are wonderful. Thanks for visiting The Gardener Side. Be persistent and keep trying the slideshows at Photobucket.

Perennial Gardener said...

I love your hardy geraniums, I don't have any in my garden this year. I've had them in past years but they didn't last but a few years. I love that brillant blue color!

Andrea said...

AH That's great. Thanks for the post. I put up a picture of Rozanne on my blog for you too. Now I'll have to add that to the list of plants I want to get. I have Max Frei in the inlaw's garden but it's a pink variety and I'm really partial to blues right now. Informative :)

I'll ask my sister and see what she says about the other variety. There should be a reason why we don't carry it (other than the fact that it looks exactly like Rozanne).

garden girl said...

I haven't tried Jolly Bee, (I might have to after reading this post,) but Rozanne has been a staple in my garden for several years.

I could sing the praises of this fabulous plant all day long. She is hands-down the most constant, longest-blooming perennial I've ever met, even with very little sun.

Her foliage is beautiful as well. It's never bothered by pests in my garden, and looks fresh all season. I don't think I've ever found a yellow or dropped leaf in the years she's been growing here - not even a crispy edge during a dry spell. The texture, the subtle color variations in each leaf, the shape, the size of the foliage. . .

I could go on and on, and often do, about this beautiful, amazing plant.

Anna said...

You have challenged me to go find out why the Jolly Bee is different. I could offer an educated guess but I want to hear it from PW. I don't have this plant in my garden yet---YET! Great post. When PW gets back with me--I'll come back to tell you what they say.

Victoria said...

Great post. Could I also put in a word for 'Blue Sunrise'? It has much brighter foliage than 'Rozanne', a bright lime-green, which might not be to everyone's taste, but it also flowers all summer. I love it.

tina said...

I love these geraniums. I too have Rozanne. What a keeper! Thanks for the info.

Phillip said...

I've been lusting after Rozanne for a long time and finally purchased three this year. They haven't filled out yet but they are hanging on in our drought and heat. I think it is such a beautiful plant (and that color!)

The Diva said...

Believe it or not, I have killed 'Rozanne' in my garden although I have many other geraniums. I think it was the time of year I planted it.~~Dee

Nancy J. Bond said...

Very beautiful! I do like geraniums -- some call them "Granny Plants", but that's okay by me. They have such wonderful colors and they never fail. :)

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I wonder if 'Jolly Bee' has the ability to climb like 'Rozanne.' I'm waiting for it to come into bloom, but part of a 'Rozanne' has climbed 3 feet up an Oakleaf Hydrangea. It also tries to climb other neighboring plants. Have you observed this with 'Jolly Bee'?

Niels Plougmann said...

I hope many more will plant these hardy geraniums, since they are great garden plants, as many have experienced yourself. Both are sterile and will not selfseed.

There are so many great hardy geraniums worth growing and I will surely post more of my favorites.

I have never heard of 'Blue Sunrise' Victoria - sounds very interesting. You should do a post about it.

And Yes - Jolly Bee will send out 2-3 feet runners that will climb neighbouring plants - just like Rozanne. I think it looks charming.