Monday, February 9, 2009

A Divine Rose Garden Picture



Sometimes we see pictures of gardens that are so out-of-this world beautiful that we are left speechless. That happened to me last year on the GW antique roses forum, when Jon from Wessex in England posted a picture of part of his garden. I asked his permission to post his picture here and share this extraordinary masterpiece of gardening and photography.

The picture showed a hedgerow of shrubs and small trees, interplanted with roses. Ramblers like 'Seagull' growing up into the shrubs and trees, mixed with large shrub roses and a mixed border - roses with perennials and annuals in front. The result is amazing and shows that it is possible to make a sublime garden with roses. The Roses used were: Seagull, Gypsy Boy, Archiduc Joseph, Francesca, Adam Messerich,californica Plena and a few others I can not identify from the picture.

The picture is so beautiful that it almost hurt! I come to think of a quote from the movie 'American beauty'; "it helps me remember... and I need to remember... Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in." My heart almost caves in from awe, seeing such a beautiful rose garden. Breathtaking isn´t it?

During the winter, we gardeners and roselovers long for summer and days were the sweet fragrance of roses fills the air. We endure by reading books, blogs, forums, catalogues and plan the tasks in our gardens the coming season. Waiting. Waiting for our garden to reach a peak of beauty we long for all winter, and have prepared and planned for years. It takes years for roses to reach mature sizes and good care, but I do feel they unlike many other garden plants give so much more. Few plants bloom as much and as long as roses. Mixing onceblooming and repeatflowering roses give blooms all season.

Jon is a great gardener and he works as a gardener in one of the worlds most beautiful public gardens: Mottisfont Abbey. His own private garden is just as beautiful, even though much smaller. Like he says, "When we have small gardens we need to cram everything together and go vertical". Something I totally agree with since I only have a tiny garden myself. Rambling roses in trees (Like the Ayrshire Splendens rose in my header picture) and climbing roses on arches, pillars and walls creates gorgeous features in gardens. I like when it rains rose petals from above.

I hope this picture inspires you to reach a little higher when you plan your gardens. Often the limitions, as to what is possible are all in our own minds. We need to be inspired to break these limits and a picture like this helps. 5 years from now your garden can look great too.

29 comments:

Connie said...

Simply gorgeous!!

Jana said...

Niels, I totally agree as usually. We can also see, that we don´t need to seek the Eden anywhere else - we can create it or our so so beautiful planet is just that Eden! I also love that idea of vertical gardening, but to say honestly, it is very difficult to propagate this in the Czech Republic especially. Our people are not very common with it, a bit "neighbourfobic", if you see what I mean.

Tyra in Vaxholm said...

Breathtaking Niels it is really out of this world, perfect picture to start this monday morning with.

Tyra

Roses and stuff said...

That's surely a sight for sore eyes!
Katarina

queenofseaford said...

Niels, it is like the photo is part of a dream...like you are floating on gossamer wings into a glorious bed of roses.
Janet

nancybond said...

Beautiful roses, and a beautiful technique applied to the photo. Those lavender blooms are amazing!

Kanak Hagjer said...

Hi Niels, I'm so glad I stopped by your blog today....breath-taking indeed. It's good to know you're back after a long break.

VW said...

That is a dreamy picture, thanks for sharing it. - VW

Anna said...

Thanks for sharing this Niels and Jon too. Jon is so fortunate working in such a beautiful garden, and then coming home to such beauty.

Aerie-el said...

What a gorgeous display! I'm redesigning some of my gardens now, rethinking others...dreaming of what they may be, just as you say, in 5 years!

Steve said...

Wow, Niels, what a gorgeous picture. You are so right about the effects of beauty on the mind and soul. And roses can sure deliver a powerful punch.

I loved what you said about "going vertical", lol. Wow, what a great idea. I must confess, I guess I do that in my own projects when I vary heights of plants in front of one another, yet what you are saying takes that idea to another dimension entirely. Really cool insight and well worth remembering.

Hard to tell you how nice it is to see you again, posting away. As we say in America, Niels: "You da man!" ;-)

Roses at Wedgwood House and Gardens said...

What a sight for sore eyes this morning. That is absolutely gorgeous. I would love to see more of Jon on GW as of course you too, dear Niels. It looks almost like the work of a master painter. I really like the poster, Janet's description - very well put. I sometimes think smaller gardens are at a great advantage in that the impact is so much greater, but of course one still needs the talent to produce such magnificence. Thank you so much for this lovely post and your writing accompanying this picture was a pleasure to read. Thanks Jon, too.

Pauline

JulenaJo said...

Stunning! Thank you!

Frances said...

Hi Niels, that is the most beautiful dreamlike garden photo ever! Thank you and Jon for posting it for us to enjoy. I agree, my heart is overwhelmed with this vision. How wonderful to have seen it in real life.
Frances at Fairegarden

Creative Gardener - Debbie said...

I am planning to add more roses this year.
Thanks for sharing
Debbie
Garden Thyme with the Ceative Gardener

blossom said...

Hi Niels. The picture is gorgeous! But, pls explain 'go vertical'. I don't understand it. Thanks

flowergardengirl said...

I'm going to reach really high! That photo does almost make you weak in the knees. I always feel that way when meeting a true artist in the garden.

gardenpath said...

I agree with you! This is a very beautiful photo.Thanks for stopping by gardenpath.

Roses and Lilacs said...

You are right, the beauty is surreal. I'm a long time GW member and used to spend lots of hours on the Antique Rose forum. I remember Jon very well. His house and gardens are incredible. Thanks for posting that photo in the middle of an especially grim winter. It lifts my spirits.
Marnie

joey said...

"The picture is so beautiful that it almost hurts," is how I feel seeing beauty that I love, Niels. Delighted to hear from you, I send a bouquet of heartfelt wishes for a 'Happy Valentine's Day' :)

Darla said...

That is breathtaking! Maybe you could do a post on tips for growing roses. I can grow almost anything, roses give me a run for my money. My double knockout roses are sef sufficient, my others ones? Who knows.

Pomona Belvedere said...

An inspiring picture in so many ways. I'm also interested to see that I'm not he only gardener who appreciates our native wild rose, californica plena.

chandler arizona landscaping said...

Wow, what an amazing shot! Sometimes I find myself looking at a picture like this for long periods of time. The contrast is amazing, the colors, magnificent!

Phillip said...

I remember seeing this photo on the Gardenweb forums last year. It is so beautiful!

sweet bay said...

Jon's garden is so beautiful, it is almost unreal. I've enjoyed all of the pictures he's posted on GardenWeb.

Catherine said...

Oh I so agree~Stunning capture!!
Just found your link, fabulous site , gorgeous pics, & a beautiful garden!
Have a gorgeous weekend!
Cat

Green Rose said...

This garden is of Eden.The picture is so good that I am contemplating to steal it to show my friends..lol.

Skicka blommor said...

What a wonderful picture!

Maude said...

The picture has that surreal quality and glow that makes it kind of look like it could be a painting.